IT Support Basics: Back to the Basics in IT Support
IT support is a business function of all IT Departments, which ensures that the computer systems of that company are monitored and maintained. This could either be done by an internal IT department or a third-party managed service provider. An IT support managed service provider ensures that the networks of a business are operating according to the standards of the company.
Here's What to Expect from Your IT Support Team:
The Role of Outsourced IT
Though roles may vary, your IT support team should be able to complete the following routine tasks:
- Provide technical support and advice
- Install and maintain computer software
- Diagnose problems and taking corrective action
- Monitor systems to ensure optimal performance
- Maintain and troubleshooting networks and systems
- Set up employee accounts and resource access levels
- Test, evaluate and upgrade systems to new technology
- Conduct safety checks, and ensure appropriate policies are in place
Frequently, companies do not have the bandwidth or resources to support all of their IT needs. As a result, they will seek to outsource some or all of their responsibilities to an IT service provider. Traditionally, a Managed Services Provider work around their clients - to perform necessary maintenance, including system updates, hardware repair, security checks, etc. Not only is this approach proactive, but it also saves a lot of money.
Disadvantages of Internal IT Support Systems
- High-Cost IT Support - The more problems the business has the more costly it becomes. New resources need to be hired to keep up with the demands of growing businesses, but IT departments do not always have the budget to be able to make these changes.
- Time-Consuming Project Cadence - Since there is often only one IT support technician per office, any problems will have to wait until more urgent matters are tended to. Can't log into your computer? Unfortunately, there could be many tickets that are more pressing than your problem and you will have to wait, which slows down the operations of the entire company.
- Traditional Technology Solutions - Traditional systems use traditional methods such as physical data backup and storage services. This means that data can easily be stolen or destroyed in a disaster. Upgrading to an IT support service provider gives you access to more experienced and knowledgeable staff, who can provide the best guidance to your company.
- Limited IT Support Hours - With an internal IT support team, there is no IT support during holidays, weekends, or after work hours. The business will have to resolve issues within working hours. However, outsourced remote support teams in different time zones can be used to provide 24 hour support.
The Benefits of Managed Services
A business that has embraced the idea of IT support outsourcing has a much better chance of resolving tedious support issues quicker and in a more cost-effective manner. The services are generally cheaper than hiring an internal employee and will help maintain business continuity and resolve issues during off-hours. Internal is not always better when it comes to IT support and maintenance. Not only are outsourced services cheaper, but also more efficient and sustainable. How does your business handle IT support?